Friday 28 March 2014

Pesky glazes..

I am finding glazes very hard to master - due to mostly a lack of interest and impatience!! I feel I am more of a 'maker' - I enjoy putting pieces together and printing patterns but have not got the patience or delicacy for applying colour. Glazes are too unpredictable!

Vase no2 ruined with a badly mixed glaze:





Perfectly spun tapas dishes ruined by glaze too thick..

(least now I have learnt what I did wrong..!)





For the next pieces I will be doing, I have decided to use oxides instead with probably an overcoat of transparent glaze. I am also trying a thin layer of glaze for the big letters (see images below) which will hopefully lay mainly inside the lines of pattern. 


I like more the raw quality of oxides and their ability to highlight textural pattern. Lets hope these work out like I want them to...








No comments:

Post a Comment